Easter Craft Ideas For Kids
Painted Eggs And Printable Easter Craft Activities
Easter is a great time to get stuck into the craft activities with your kids. From Easter bonnets and Easter baskets, to egg decorating and Easter themed colouring, there are so many fun Easter craft ideas and activities that are simple for even the littlest of kids to enjoy these school holidays.
At Gifts Australia, we particularly love all of the bunny and Easter egg themed activities. So, we wanted to share some of our favourite Easter craft ideas for kids that you can do at home. Painting your own eggs is always a favourite, but we also have ideas for Easter crafts that don’t make a mess! If you’re short on time or not particularly crafty yourself, then you’ll love our ready-to-go, free Easter printables that you can download for your kids to enjoy.
If you’ve left your Easter craft planning until the last minute, all of these Easter activities can be done with things you probably already have in the kitchen or your craft supply basket. These are all great ideas for things to do over the Easter long weekend, or even on Easter Sunday once the kids have had their fill of chocolate eggs!
Decorate your own Easter eggs!
Painting Easter eggs is a great way to create your own individual decorations to add to the table for Easter Sunday lunch. Painted eggs also make great Easter eggs for a scavenger hunt. While hollowed eggs are lovely, they are also more fragile. Painting a complete boiled egg can be easier for little hands and makes them more durable. Find out how to paint eggs at home with these step by step instructions for a fun family Easter craft activity.
What You'll Need:
- Eggs (white shelled eggs are best)
- Large saucepan
- Food colouring
- Tape, rubber bands, wax candles, or stickers
- Several small bowls
- Tongs or a slotted spoon
- Empty egg carton
Step 1: Fill a large saucepan with water, place on the stove, and add your eggs.
Step 2: Bring the water to a boil, and then reduce heat to let the eggs simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Remove the eggs from the saucepan and place in a bowl of cold water.
Step 4: Start decorating your egg. There’s several ways to create a pattern or decorate your eggs:
- Using a wax crayon to draw a design on the egg before it’s dyed. The waxed area will remain white against the coloured background.
- Create a stripey design on your eggs by wrapping rubber bands or lines of sticky tape around your egg before dipping.
- Stick shaped stickers on your egg to create a fancy pattern when they are removed after dipping.
Step 5: Fill the small bowls or mugs halfway with hot water, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar, and one teaspoon of food colouring. You’ll need separate bowls for each colour you want to use.
Step 6: Dip the egg in your chosen colour and leave it for 5 minutes. Alternatively, you can hold the egg half in the coloured water, and then repeat using a different colour on the other end for multi-coloured eggs.
Step 7: Remove the painted eggs with a slotted spoon or tongs and place in an egg carton to dry.
More creative egg decorating ideas
- Make dreamy marbled eggs by soaking first in a diluted dye for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a bowl of different coloured dye, add the egg, and use a spoon to gently mix the egg around to create a marble effect on your Easter eggs.
- If you’re using tape or rubber bands, remove them and dip a second time in a diluted dye solution for a lighter shaded pattern.
Printable Easter craft activities
For easy printable Easter activities, your kids will love these bunny and egg themed colouring-in activity sheets. No matter how creatively challenged you are, you'll have kids Easter crafts sorted in no time at all!
Make An Easter Basket
Make your own little Easter basket just perfect to give as a gift filled with mini Easter eggs. Click on the image to download the PDF, print it out on cardstock, and follow the simple kid-friendly directions:
- Colour-in the drawings.
- Cut the basket by following the solid lines.
- Fold along the dotted lines.
- Glue the sides of the basket together.
- Staple the handle to the basket.
- Fill your basket with Easter goodies!
Hanging Easter Eggs
This is a super easy Easter craft activity for preschool kids. You can even print out several of the printable craft pages for lots of decorated eggs. Once they have been coloured, string them up on a single piece of string to hang along with fairy lights to decorate the garden or Easter table. Download the image, print it out on cardstock, and follow the simple kid-friendly directions:
- Decorate the eggs using crayons and other colouring or drawing materials.
- Help your child to cut out the eggs once they are done decorating.
- Punch a hole on the circle mark.
- Thread a string through the hole.
- Hang your egg ornaments in time for Easter!
Make Your Own Easter Bunny Ears
Easter morning is made extra special with DIY bunny ears for dress-ups. While you can make bunny ears out of paper plates or a headband, this downloadable printable is a super simple option that you can do with just cardstock or thick paper. Download the image, print it out, and follow the simple kid-friendly directions:
- Decorate the bunny ears with crayons or markers.
- Cut out the ears and the bands.
- Tape the bands together to make one long band.
- Form a circle around the top of your head and tape the ends together. (Adjust and make more bands if needed.)
- Tape the ears behind the part of the band that goes on your forehead.
- Put on your bunny ears and hop around like a bunny!
Easter Holiday Fun From Gifts Australia
If you’re looking for some great new art and craft gifts for kids for Easter, Gifts Australia has a range of great craft activity gifts for Easter holiday fun. As well as glitter colouring books, chunky markers, and magic painting sets we also have great crafty activity sets. Try the Shrinkies Sweet Treats Activity Set so your kids can enjoy making their own heat shrunk jewellery and accessory pieces. It comes with enough pieces and pre-made designs for several children to enjoy together.
For more fun craft activities to share, we have a range of colouring in kits, sticker sets, and window art kits to decorate for the holidays. Primary aged kids will love making their own Easter themed artwork. Get more holiday activity inspiration with our range of art and craft gifts for kids. Or, if you need non chocolate gift ideas for Easter, you can find unique egg themed gifts and other alternatives for babies or toddlers in our Easter gifts range.