Kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour & Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus
Kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour & Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus
Starting with the kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer Bus, you'll travel 1270 metres above sea level, experience spectacular views over Hobart and beyond. The 2-hour return trip includes 30-minutes to explore the summit of kunanyi / Mount Wellington. If you’re looking for a little more adventure, you also have the option to hop-on and hop-off at multiple bus stops where you’ll find a wide range of bushwalking tracks to explore.
Return to the city and join the official sightseeing tour of Hobart. Hop-on and experience stunning 360 degree views of Hobart from the top deck of our open-top double-decker buses. Stay onboard to complete the full 90 minute tour or hop-on, hop-off at any of the 20 convenient stops around the city.
Includes a kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer Pass (valid all day) and a 48hr Hop-On Hop-Off City Loop Ticket.
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Fern Tree Playground, The Huon Road, Hobart, Tasmania Australia
kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour: Optional hop-off at Fern Tree Park bus stop.
• A sheltered grassy area with toilets, picnic areas, wood-fired barbeques and children’s play equipment. The starting point for shaded walks through fern gullies and alongside bubbling streams.
• Take the Pipeline Track to Silver Falls (40-min return), which follows the route of the water pipeline supplying some of Hobart’s water. A short, easy walk, also suitable for mountain bikes.
• Visit Fern Tree Tavern for lunch, coffee and cake or a refreshing cold beverage. Open Tuesday to Sunday.
Pass By: The Springs Wellington Park, Wellington Park TAS 7054, Australia
kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour: Optional hop-off at The Springs bus stop.
• A level picnic area with toilets, picnic tables, gas-fired barbeques and the starting point for a range of walking tracks and mountain bike trails on the eastern foothills of kunanyi/Mt Wellington.
• Take the Lenah Valley Track to Sphinx Rock (45-min return), great views of the Organ Pipes above and Hobart and the River Derwent below. A short, easy walk through eucalypt forest to the impressive sandstone rock platform of Sphinx Rock (caution: 10 metre cliff drop).
• Visit Lost Freight Cafe for hot drinks, light meals and snacks. Open 7 days.
Pass By: Organ Pipes Circuit Trail, Take Davey Street out of Hobart to Pinnacle Road, Hobart, Tasmania Australia
kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour: Optional hop-off at The Springs or The Chalet bus stops.
• The Organ Pipes Walk (3-hr return) is one of Tasmania’s 60 Great Short Walks. A difficult walk that follows the contour of the mountain around the base of the 120-metre-high dolerite columns of the Organ Pipes to The Chalet. Rock climbers are sometimes seen in action. Spectacular views. Walk uphill on well-marked tracks from The Springs to The Chalet, or downhill from The Chalet to The Springs (1.5-hr one-way).
Stop At: Mount Wellington, Pinnacle Road, Hobart, Tasmania Australia
kunanyi/Mt Wellington Tour: Travel to the summit of kunanyi/Mt Wellington, 1270 metres above Hobart. Here you'll have 30 minutes to take in the spectacular views over Hobart and the east coast, and to the west, looking over the World Heritage Area of Southern Tasmania.
• The summit of kunanyi/Mt Wellington features a sheltered observation area with interpretive signage, multiple lookouts and toilets, including disabled access toilets.
• Take the Zig Zag Track across the plateau to a lookout (20-min return), taking in spanning views of Tasmania’s alpine environment. A short, easy walk.
• Take a short, difficult walk downhill on the steep stepped Zig Zag Track and Pinnacle Track to The Springs (1.5-hr one-way). Great views of the Organ Pipes and Hobart and the River Derwent below. Hop-on a later bus at The Springs to return to Hobart.
Hop-on and hop-off the kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer Bus to explore a variety of short alpine walks and mountain bike trails on the mountain. Bus stops include Fern Tree Park, The Springs, The Chalet and Big Bend.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Brooke Street Pier, Franklin Wharf, Hobart, Tasmania Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Brooke Street Pier bus stop.
• Brooke Street Pier is a floating structure, both a building and a boat, which rises and falls with the tide. It’s the departure point for the MONA ferry and Peppermint Bay cruise. Meet the makers of unique Tasmanian wares, plus cafés and restaurants with magnificent waterside views.
Pass By: Salamanca Market, Salamanca Place, Hobart, Tasmania 7001 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Salamanca Place bus stop.
• Salamanca Place is where you’ll find Salamanca Market – Australia’s largest outdoor market. Held every Saturday, rain hail or shine.
• The row of 1840s Georgian sandstone warehouses have been converted into cafés, restaurants, bars, galleries and boutique retail stores. The perfect place to find a special hand-crafted gift or memento of your holiday.
Pass By: Wrest Point Casino, 410 Sandy Bay Rd, Hobart, Tasmania 7005 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Wrest Point bus stop.
• Wrest Point is the perfect waterfront destination for a variety of restaurants, bars, live music and vibrant casino entertainment.
• Take a scenic walk following the harbours edge down south to Sandy Bay’s popular Long Beach (approx. 30-minutes one-way).
Pass By: Cascade Brewery, 131 Cascade Rd, Hobart, Tasmania 7004 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Cascade Brewery bus stop.
• Sample a range of Cascade beverages by the glass, as a tasting paddle or paired with lunch at Cascade Brewhouse. Step inside Australia’s oldest brewery on a guided tour.
• Take a relaxing stroll through Cascade Gardens to Cascades Female Factory.
• A gentle downhill walk along Hobart Rivulet Walking Track into the city.
Pass By: Cascades Female Factory Historic Site, 16 Degraves St South Hobart, Hobart, Tasmania 7004 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Female Factory bus stop.
• Discover the stories of Australia’s convict women and their children at Cascades Female Factory. Join a tour for a deeper insight into the history of the site and the lives of those imprisoned here. View displays and exhibitions in the Matron’s Quarters. Her Story is a depiction of the harsh life at the Female Factory.
• Take a relaxing stroll through Cascade Gardens to Cascade Brewhouse.
• A gentle downhill walk along Hobart Rivulet Walking Track into the city.
Pass By: Village Cinemas, 181 Collins St, Hobart, Tasmania 7000 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Village Cinema bus stop.
• Catch Hollywood blockbusters and great art-house films at Village Cinemas. Add a touch of luxury with selected films screening in Gold Class. There’s also plenty of fun to be had with laser tag and arcade games for all ages.
• A short walk to Centrepoint Shopping Centre and the retail stores that border the southern part of the CBD shopping precinct.
Pass By: Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Dunn Place, Hobart, Tasmania 7000 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery bus stop.
• Delve into Tasmania’s unique and fascinating history at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery. Be sure to check out any current public talks, tours, school holiday programs and other fun family activities.
Pass By: MARITIME MUSEUM OF TASMANIA, 16 Argyle St Carnegie Building, Hobart, Tasmania 7000 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Maritime Museum bus stop.
• Delve into Tasmania’s unique and fascinating history at the Maritime Museum of Tasmania. Be sure to check out any current public talks, tours, school holiday programs and other fun family activities.
Pass By: Hobart Convict Penitentiary, 6 Brisbane St, Hobart, Tasmania 7000 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Hobart Convict Penitentiary bus stop.
• One of Australia’s most significant historic convict precincts, the Hobart Convict Penitentiary was built in the 1830s for the growing number of convicts arriving in the colony. Book in for a viewing of Pandemonium – The Convict Film Experience to explore the journey of Tasmania’s convict ancestors. Or visit after-hours for a thrilling ghost tour. Bookings essential.
Pass By: The Hobart Aquatic Centre, 1 Davies Avenue, Hobart, Tasmania 7000 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Aquatic Centre bus stop.
• Enjoy the Olympic size swimming pool, leisure pools, water slide, spa, sauna, steam room, gym and fitness classes at the Doone Kennedy Hobart Aquatic Centre.
• Admire 40 different rose varieties at the University Rose Gardens.
• Explore the open space of the Queens Domain, including Hobart Cenotaph and Soldiers Memorial Avenue.
Pass By: Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, Lower Domain Road Queens Domain, Hobart, Tasmania 7000 Australia
Hobart Hop-On Hop-Off Bus: Optional hop-off at Botanical Gardens bus stop.
• The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens are Australia’s premier cool climate garden. Stroll through 14 hectares of unique collections including the Japanese Garden and historic Conservatory. Visit the Lily Pond and Community Food Garden or the world’s only Subantarctic Plant House. Enjoy a meal with great views at Succulent Restaurant and have a browse in the Botanical Shop.
- 48-hour Red Decker Hop-On Hop-Off City Loop Ticket
- kunanyi/Mt Wellington Explorer Pass, valid all day (English commentary)
- A complimentary copy of Red Decker's The Official Sightseeing Guide to Hobart
- Complimentary Wellington Park bushwalking map
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- WiFi on board
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 27 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- What you can do: Please observe directions from staff at all times. If you are feeling unwell, please do not board the bus. Clean your hands before and after you travel. Avoid touching surfaces inside the bus whenever you can. Do not consume food and drinks on board the bus.
Total review count and overall rating based on Viator and Tripadvisor reviews
This whole experience was wonderful. Drivers knowledge of the area and its native flora and fauna was impressive. The lookout itself was simply stunning. We’ll set up with easily accessible indoor and outdoor viewing platforms and toilets. While on our journey up the mountain there was some snowfall which added to the thrill of the experience.
Wellington bus was great. We got about 30mins on top for some photos. Enough time as it is really cold and windy, no place to hangout like cafe, etc. There are options to stop on some bush walk trail areas. The city bus hop on/off tour was perfect as we wanted to urn some time before our late evening flight and we got no car to drive. We only topped by at the Cascade brewery for about 90minutes (until the next bus loop pick up schedule). Which I recommend btw!
I am really glad I bought this packaging. Hobart is a beautiful city and this is the best way to see everything in a relaxing, stress-free way.
The KunayiMt Wellington Tour bus takes you to the top of the mountain even when roads are closed due to snow and ice. The view from the top is amazing. It's freezing though and the winds are very strong, but definitely worth going. The guide we had was really passionate about his work, and it was very enjoyable having him.
The Hop-On Hop-Off bus is a nice, relaxing way to see the city. Sit on the upper deck to get a better view. I used to think it's just like any other drive around the city, but things look different from a higher angle. It's also good to listen to the audio guide that gives you the history behind each location.
Beautiful views, friendly and informative tour guide, excellent value and definitely recommend getting the combo with the Red Bus. We had a great time as a family atop the bus being whirled out to Cascade Brewery for lunch and back. (My tip - dress warm for Mt Wellington, bring a beanie and an empty water bottle for the spring water)
2 bus trips in one day! Up to Mt Wellington with great views and commentary along the way. The view from the top was spectacular if not freezing ( rug up ). Back to our starting point to join the Hop On Hop Off bus. Gives a great overall look at Hobart. We did a loop to see what was at each point. Unfortunately we ran out of time to get off at any of the stops. There was a pre-recorded commentary but our driver also gave little insights. Clearly enjoys his job and enthusiastic about his city. If I find myself back in Hobart I will definitely take these tours again. Maybe not the same day as you can get off the Kunanyi bus to go bushwalking and there is plenty to explore at the stops offered by the Hop On Hop Off.
Despite delays of cruise disembarkation...the staff handling the tour accommodated us and we had a great Hop On/Off tour as well as a bus tour to the top of Mt Wellington. Both guides were knowledgeable and approachable. Great experience!
Wonderful day and wonderful services!!! The Hop on Hop Off bus was very nice, new, clean and the driver was very clever, funny and nice. Giving great information and helpful hints as we went around. David, the driver for the Mt Wellington portion was awesome!! Very dynamic and knowledgeable and a great guide. Again, very helpful in suggestions on how to enjoy the city more and get around easier. A truly wonderful day in Hobart that couldn't have done it without the help of all my drivers that day!!
The trip up the mountain was enjoyable - the clouds came and went but we managed to get some good photos of the surrounds. Beautiful views of Hobart and the river. Very interesting and informative information given on both tours.
We did the combined package and went up to Mt Wellington around 930 am and found it not too busy with 2 cruise ships in port
By the time we left it was getting busier. We just took the bus back down and found the driver very informative and amusing. Weather would be a consideration as we had a clear sunny day. Hop on and hop off could run later and maybe it does in busier months. We made 3 stops at the brewery, women's factory and the jail. The jail closed early and we found out you need to book a tour so didn't see much there.
Very friendly and informative driver/ guide. We did get a beautiful clear day so it was a lovely trip up the mountain.
everyone in Australia seem to be so polite haha I truly enjoyed the hop on hop off but as well as the Mount Wellington tour. I was short on time so it was perfect for me. i could see the whole city and what it has to offer. On top of the mountain we were given 40 minutes to spend. It was good enough. the views were amazing. It remimded me a little bit of Rio de Janeiro views from Corcovado and the views Table mountain in Cape town. the mix of both. It was crazy windy on top. ceazy crazy. and chilly chilly haha but it was an amazing time. so many memories. just go for it. the best way to experience Hobart if you are short on time. Truly recommended.
Just seeing the many interesting sites and hearing about how Hobart was started was really interesting.
The Mount Wellington Tour was excellent with an excellent driver who was very informative and entertaining.
The hop on hop off bus driver drove dangerously and was unhelpful and to be honest there was not much to the tour.
What other customers are buying
Our Customers Love Us