Koalas and Kangaroo in the Wild Tour from Melbourne
Visit an open forest in a National Park that is home to a large and healthy population of wild koalas. The koalas research project ensures that on most days you'll have multiple sightings of these delightful creatures.
Within easy reach from the center of the city of Melbourne, these environments provide the perfect introduction to Australia's unique wildlife and indigenous culture. The area you walk through is of great significance to the local Aboriginal People of the Wathaurong Tribe. Freshwater lakes and billabongs nearby provided a rich food source for them, and some signs of their occupation still remain. Your guide will share their knowledge with you.
You will be provided with a picnic lunch, served in an open-air setting at the sanctuary, and includes fruit and cakes, coffee and delicious Australian "Billy tea".
Expert Nature Guides:
You will be guided on this journey by friendly, experienced and knowledgeable nature guides. Many hours of research work proceed the tour to ensure that you see and learn about native wildlife in its natural environment. Guides carry two way radios which link them to the office and to emergency services.
Although this tour is vehicle based, most of the day is spent outside the vehicle on a number of easy, flat terrain, bush walks so that you can get close to nature. Passengers must be able to walk unassisted at least 500m on uneven dirt surfaces. There may be up to 5 walks of this duration during the tour.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Guided full day tour
- Expert Nature Guides
- Gourmet bush lunch
- Australia's Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Due to timings, this tour is not recommended for passengers arriving & departing via cruise ship
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- IMPORTANT: Please tell us where you are staying so we can arrange the best pick up location. We do not stop at all pick up locations for each tour. You much prearrange your pick up locations
- What to Bring: Good walking shoes or boots, clothing to suit variable weather conditions (temperatures range from 5C to +35C, sun hat, rainproof coat, insect repellent, 15+ sunblock and 1 litre water bottle. Camera and binoculars are also recommended.
- Infant seats can be provided at a fee of AUD$20 payable direct.
- Vegetarian and Vegan options are available, please advise at time of booking if required.
- Tour itinerary is subject to change to optimise wildlife experience
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- This tour operates with a Minimum of 2 people and a Maximum of 10.
- We can not pick you up from the port if you are coming off a cruise ship. You must have time to make it to the Holiday Inn hotel by 8:30am this requires your ship to arrive no later then 7:30am.
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- We have the right to refuse guests from participating in tours if they're showing signs and symptoms of the flu. If you or the person you're travelling with are feeling unwell please contact us immediately.
Total review count and overall rating based on Viator and Tripadvisor reviews
Fantastic trip! My Guide Dan, had great knowledge and passion for the wildlife and conservation. I was fortunate enough to see, Koalas, Kangaroos, birds, including black swans, geese, parrots etc. Also saw ancient trees, native plants and flowers. Worth every minute!
Terrific tour. Sam is a great guide. Our day started out as a misty cool day. Great day for seeing animals though. Saw four koalas in the morning. Watched a male koala feed for about 25 minutes low in the tree. After lunch saw a mob of 75 kangaroos. Thanks to Sam we were able to get within 35 m. Saw 5 emus including one male emu with chicks. The males raise the chicks. Went to a wetland area saw lots of waterfowl including a black Swan. Had a wonderful time!
We were expecting a nice day, but this was awesome. We had a fabulous guide, Ashira, not sure of spelling. A trained environmentalist and a compassionate, friendly young man.
Our sightings were fabulous and the knowledge he imparted was so very valuable. When taking a trek to view animals, you can never predict what and if you will encounter them. Our encounters were many and even if we hadn’t seen as many our knowledge base and respect for the bush would have been worth it.
Relaxed and enjoyable trip. We saw koalas, kangaroo, emu, eagle and possum. The guide was friendly and knowledgable, he answered all our questions.
Amy was a great guide. She was very informative and a good driver. We enjoyed the tour very much. The lunch was very nice.
That was one terrific day! Enjoyed seeing animals, got a lot of interesting information. Our guide was very knowledgeable, personal, knew exactly where animals could be found.
We had such a great time getting close and personal with koalas and kangaroos , and emus, and more. It blow us away. Dan was super friendly and knowledgeable. Took us for half a day ride that we can never forget. We saw three Koalas from 20 ft away and then walk with a group of 70 kangaroos about 30 feet. Dan knew everything about different species and taught us all on how to navigate our way. My son and daughter had a blast. I recommend this half a day tour to anyone who visits Australia and wants to see the indigenous life out at their habitat.
The whole trip was fantastic, tour leader Sam was excellent and lovely guy. Knowing so much about koalas and kangaroos and sharing his knowledge with us. Really well done and organized,
so many thanks for the best exprerience,
Dan was an outstanding guide who has a passion for conservation and protection of koalas. We learned a great deal of information about the research that is being done and how koalas are being protected. We experienced an amazing sighting of a mob of kangaroos and were thrilled with lunch and tea. Wow! This tour is a must!!!
Had a wonderful time with Amy as she expertly guided us through the bush to locate several koalas and kangaroos. Very knowledgeable with the plants and animals of the area, and provided a very enjoyable day for us to get out of the city. Would highly recommend this tour for almost all ages, hiking was not very advanced and plenty of opportunities for breaks.
We did the tour in April and the weather was a bit cool. But what an amazing day. We saw so many animals and our guide was very informative. We also had a lovely lunch. Definitely recommend and not too far from Melbourne. Make sure you take insect repellent though we both ended up covered in bites. Worth it though.
A truly remarkable excursion from Melbourne. Seeing Australian wildlife close up was a fantastic experience.
In the safe and knowledgeable care of Roger and Lynne our small party saw 5 koalas in their natural habitat and then aroubd 50 shading kangaroos within a few yards. Roger"s facts and finding techniques made the trip, for our small party magical.
A must do trip without doubt.
We could not schedule through Viking so we went out on our own and are thankful that we did. There were 8 of us in a van with our personal guide Martin. He made every effort to make sure that we saw everything there was to see. If we had gone with Viking it would have been 1/40 people and cost quite a bit more.
Our guide was extremely knowledgeable about Australian wildlife. He made sure we saw kangaroos and koalas up close. This tour was so educational and fun!
It was a wonderful, once in a lifetime experience. Great staff - knowledgeable and friendly. Amazing to see these animals out in the wild and not in a zoo.
Great experience as we were able to walk-a-bout to locate koalas and kangaroos in the wild. Learned how to make outback tea this group hosts additional tours which if I ever have a chance to visit again, I would book additional tours with this group.
A lovely day. Very informative.
Fantastic visit to the bush to see Koalas and kangaroos - saw both in their natural environments - a skilled and knowledgeable guide who made it a memorable experience even down to showing how to make traditional billy tea.
It was a great tour, learned so much and a good way to get out of Melbourne for a day.
We were lucky and we were alone on the trip so it was really individual safari. The guide was great - scope of information we've received was full.
We've seen koalas, kangaroos and emus plenty of bird species.
This was an excellent tour with a very knowledgeable, experienced and personable tour guide Mike. We were taken into the You Yangs and spotted lots of kangaroo's and wallabies. We also were able to observe a stumped tail lizard, an echidna, a brushy-tailed possum and even a large 2 metre brown snake of which we gave a wide berth. And we finally found the elusive kola. We then travelled to the nearby Serendip Sanctuary where we were provided a fabulous lunch topped off by a wonderful desert of Anzac cookies and Lamington cake and a billy of tea made from eucalyptus leaves that we had picked. In the afternoon we observed numerous emus including a mother with 8 young playing in the water. We also saw a blue tongue lizard, kangaroos, wallabies and a nest of a a restless fly catcher.
All in all an excellent tour. I would recommend this tour to anyone wanting to experience a taste of life in the wilds of Australia.
My guide Sally is very knowledgeable.
If you cancel within 7 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
What other customers are buying
Our Customers Love Us