Hervey Bay Whale Watching Experience
Experience close whale encounters (when the whales are so close to the boat that you could almost touch them), pec/tail slapping, breaching, spy-hopping and mating behaviours.
As the newest 1/2 day boat in the fleet, this boat was built specifically for amazing whale and dolphin viewing. Low passenger numbers (only take maximum 60% of capacity), means everyone has a chance to get a great view of the action from both inside and outside the vessel (with multi-level viewing decks).
Two daily cruises to choose from. The ONLY 1/2 day cruise boat to include meals (buffet lunch on the morning cruise and buffet dinner on the afternoon cruise).
Listen to the whales 'sing' with our hydrophone and enjoy a live commentary in English (French, German, Italian and Spanish translation also).
We'll depart from the Great Sandy Straits Marina out towards Platypus Bay, where the mighty Humpback Whales come to rest and play. Some of the behaviours we'll observe are: breaching, spy-hopping, pec-slapping, tail-slapping and lunges. We usually see our resident bottlenose dolphins playing with their Humpback whale friends too. Cruising alongside the West Coast of K'gari (Fraser Island), we may even be lucky enough to spot a dingo.
Our 1/2 day morning or afternoon cruise will leave you with cherished memories to last a lifetime. Choose from our Extended Morning (5 hour cruise) or our Afternoon + Sunset (4 hour cruise). Fun, educational, interesting, inspirational and amazing are just some of the ways to describe a Whale Watch experience with Whalesong. Join us to tick off an incredible bucket list experience.
• Whalesong Cruises, Great Sandy Straits Marina 17 Buccaneer Dr Shop 2, Great Sandy Straits Marina, Urangan, Hervey Bay, Queensland 4655 Australia
- AM departure - Morning tea and buffet lunch
- PM departure - Antipasto platter (afternoon tea) and Buffet dinner
- Multi-level viewing decks
- Expert commentary - translated by our multilingual crew (German, French, Spanish, Italian)
- Hydrophone and underwater cameras to listen to and view the Humpback Whales
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from Hervey Bay accommodations
- Filtered water, tea, herbal tea, coffee and milo
- Drinks and snacks (available for purchase on board)
- Souvenirs (available for purchase on board)
We pick up from local resorts, hotels, motels and caravan parks. We don't pick up from Air BnBs (unless they are close to the Esplanade) due to time constraints and vast spread of locations. Pick up (and drop off) times depend on where you're staying in the Bay.
In general, pick up times for the morning cruise are approx:
* Point Vernon/Pialba: 7:05am - 7:15am, Scarness: 7:15am - 7:20am, Torquay: 7:20am - 7:30am, Urangan: 7:30am - 7:40am. Please call to verify your pick up address, at least 24 hours before the cruise.
In general, pick up times for the afternoon cruise are approx:
* Point Vernon/Pialba: 1:05pm - 1:15pm, Scarness: 1:15pm - 1:20pm, Torquay: 1:20pm - 1:30pm, Urangan: 1:30pm - 1:40pm. Please call to verify your pick up address, at least 24 hours before the cruise.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date
- We recommend bringing comfortable shoes, sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat
- In the event that no whales are spotted, you will receive a return ticket to come again at a future date
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Face masks provided for travelers
Total review count and overall rating based on Viator and Tripadvisor reviews
Staff very friendly and helpful. Lots of sanitising handrails etc. Great that we saw a couple of whale groups. Plenty of time to see them. The commentary could be clearer and often unable to be heard from outside speakers. Still a great experience
Loved the personal attention on a smaller boat. This was my second trip and I 'll be back for a third as every trip is different.
Lots of whales and dolphins too. A very personal trip. The owner is very conscientious and wants everyone to have an amazing day. Breakfast coffee, tea, fruit and cake and biscuits was very appreciated as I had had a two hour journey. Lunch was also very good on this trip. Overall? Excellent
Really enjoyed our whale watching tour. Can't believe how curious the whales were and how close they come to the boat. The crew were helpful and the boat was comfortable. Would definitely recommend this tour
Yep , one more tick off the bucket list . The sight of a whale appearing out of the depths, right in front of the bow ,headed right at us , was amazing . So big , it wouldn't fit in the photo frame , just had to fire off photos as quick as possible !
Crew were good , although skipper can be a little to sarcastic , but to his credit knows exactly what's required to get the whales .
Definitely worth it
Extremely professional and well organised. All crew were highly informative and helpful and mingled with all the passengers. A good lunch was supplied and plenty of tea, coffee, cakes etc. The boat was spotless and well maintained. The skipper knew where to find whales and was able to provide many hours with them.
Great experience - saw a loy of mother and calf whales
Great experience. Crew very mindful of safety of passengers. Captain offered refund or change of day before boarding as weather was rough on the day of our trip. Saw lots of whales. Small group of passengers, not overcrowded. Food was basic but not really the focus of the trip.
What other customers are buying
Our Customers Love Us