Clever Gifts For Outdoor Lifestyles
How To Make The Most Of Outdoor Living
Outdoor living is a way of life for Aussies, but it’s also all the rage the world over. Creating a beautiful outdoor space enhances your home, makes entertaining easy and boosts your lifestyle. Whether it’s a large backyard, a cosy patio or a tiny balcony garden, there’s a world of ideas for designing a little piece of heaven outside.
A thoughtfully planned outdoor space will make a welcoming and relaxing retreat, no matter how small. It can be an intimate spot to chill in your free time, a lovely alfresco dining area or a place for play and entertaining all year round. You don't even need much money to start breathing new life into your garden or backyard!
If you're looking for fresh ideas for someone who loves hanging out in their backyard, we’ve collated a host of great outdoor living gifts for people who love entertaining or having fun outdoors. There are also some inspired ideas on how to make the most of outdoors and create a cool place for leisure and family time. They’ll never want to go back inside!
What Do You Need For Cosy Outdoor Living?
Your outdoor spaces deserve to be enjoyed fully, and with careful planning, they can be comfy and stylish all-weather areas. Upgrading doesn't need to be time-consuming, hard work or costly. Your dream will soon be the ultimate outdoor retreat. Whether you’re entertaining in your backyard or on a small patio, it’s the perfect place to spend time with family and friends. You just need a few design tips and tricks up your sleeve as well as family-friendly things to do outdoors.
Light up the night
There are numerous choices for outdoor lighting, so make sure you set the atmosphere you want. There's something for every mood, from functional lanterns and lights to romantic strings and candles.
Increase comfort levels
Furniture for the patio or yard needs to be durable, but cosy to sit in too. Freshen up with new soft seat pads and cushions, whether you have a basic seating set or a cool porch swing or hammock.
Keep it cosy
Creating a cosy space means adding a touch of luxury with decorative throws, picnic blankets, pillows or bean bags. Keep a handy basket of blankets for chilly nights and ornate folding fans for the summertime heat.
Add some flora
Plants and shrubs can truly transform any outdoor living room or balcony. If you already have some in your yard, add accent flowers for pops of colour, place some vibrant planters or create a vertical garden!
Make a focal point
Choose a stunning stone statue or an inviting rustic bench as an eye-catching centrepiece. If you have a small space, build planter stacks or try a unique collection of garden items, urns or mini animal figures.
Prepare to dine
Every outdoor space should have a small nook for alfresco entertaining and a BBQ! It will increase the enjoyment levels and make get-togethers more intimate. You’ll soon find yourself dreaming up excuses to eat outside.
Fan the flames
Nothing brings everyone together quite like the mesmerising flicker of flames. A welcoming chiminea or fire pit guarantees spending evenings with family or friends outdoors all year and some great evening conversations.
Family-friendly outdoor games
Having a selection of backyard games or activities that everyone can join in on is essential. Sprinklers for the kids are great for day time entertaining, and a portable table tennis net will turn any outdoor table into a game.
What Do You Get Someone For A New Patio?
Gifts for outdoorsy couples who love entertaining are a total joy to choose from. If they’ve just spruced up or splashed out, they won’t need any coaxing to spend time enjoying their new patio or deck. The ideal gift ideas for patio lovers can be practical, educational, humorous, funky or fun!
- Help them create the ultimate chilling spot with picnic rugs, throws or cushions.
- Set the scene with aromatic candles, paper lantern strings, solar lights, and more.
- Treat the chef to grilling tools, personalised gadgets, aprons or a chic smoker box.
- Any kind of cooler bags, wine coolers or double-walled glasses are perfect for the patio.
- Get them started with a chic cocktail essentials kit, shaker set and all-day recipe book.
- For summer fun, try pool floats and accessories, family games or Bluetooth speakers.
- Make a statement with a patio ornament they'll love so much they’ll start collecting them.
- Attract butterflies and birds with a birdhouse, colourful seeds or plant lovers essentials.
- Gift them pots, gardening and growing kits or gloves so they can flex their green thumbs.
- Create some zen with yoga mats to inspire them with creative outdoor yoga space ideas.
- Give entertaining a hand with a neat picnic board, BBQ caddy or chopper and board.
What Is The Best Way To Throw An Outdoor Party?
Who doesn’t adore an invitation to a fabulous alfresco party? It’s one of the best ideas for outdoor entertaining. Between the delicious food, cold drinks, fun and laughter, these are gatherings where everyone can kick back and relax.
Make sure your guests know the vibe of the day when you send out invites and give them a rough time for arrival and eating. Something like "The BBQ gets lit at 4, so we’ll flip the steaks if you bring your swimsuits any time after 2!" suits the mood perfectly.
- An outdoor party needs a festive and fun atmosphere, so decorate to your heart’s content.
- Use different seating areas and scatter cushions to make the event as informal and cosy as you can.
- Prepare some finger food and snacks to offer immediately when guests arrive at the party.
- Get creative with different food, cold drinks and wine stations so guests can mingle easily.
- Plan a favourite playlist of tunes, fun ice-breakers, games and quizzes to suit your theme.
- Choose a tasty signature cocktail or party punch to welcome guests and keep those drinks flowing.
- Make sure there's outdoor activities for the kids for a family-friendly gathering.
- Set the evening mood for after sunset with candlelight or twinkling lights strung across the yard.
What To Get Someone Who Likes To Be Outside?
From weekend barbecues to alfresco entertaining, family and friends who love the outdoors are a pleasure to buy for. Browse Gifts Australia for the perfect lifestyle and outdoor entertaining accessories. There’s something special for the grill master, garden lover, terrace host and backyard relaxer. You’ll find ideas for every alfresco personality and patio. Sometimes it’s those little unique finishing touches that make it feel just right.